Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Detroit Fan Fare 2011: A Weekend in Review


Last weekend I spun a web on over to the Detroit FanFare!  One year ago (at the 1st Annual Detroit FanFare) I made my very first convention appearance, and now (3 conventions and 1 year later) I'm back again!

Unlike the Dearborn Hotel Venue like last year, this time it was held at Cobo Hall in Detroit.  I threw on my spandex and went over early to get a fresh start and was immediately freezing.  I stayed this way for the entire weekend.  Because Detroit is pretty cheap and doesn't believe in heating Cobo Hall.  But luckily, for no one, they do believe in opening literally every door so that the refreshing fall air can share hypothermia with everyone - thanks Detroit!

The staging room was much bigger and so I took my time visiting the creators of GI JOE and Ninja Turtles, and continued onward in search of awesome action figures.  For the first time, at this moment, people began approaching me asking me a question I'd not yet heard in my 1st year of being Spider-Man - - "is your butt real" and "may I touch it".

Now, usually, people just grope me and I say "everybody gets one!" and call it a day, but now people are asking.  I suppose that's more polite, but a new trend none-the-less.  So women begin grabbing my butt and taking pictures.  Their assessment - my butt is real.  From this moment onward, it sunk into my reality that my butt, not me, was the star of the show.

As I continued to walk around the show room, people would come to me for pictures, form lines or crowd around and ask all sorts of questions about my suit...while people could come up from behind and "sneak" a picture of my butt.  Yeah get a job in surveillance guys, you were real sneaky. Then I see this gem:












I watched Bruce Campbell on stage thinking of all the times he's pushed me on stage, denied me into a theater or had been french at dinner as I sat shivering in the audience. 


He walks past and says "hey Spidey" and I go talk to Brian O'Halloran, from Clerks, for awhile. 
Peter Weller, Robocop, starts walking around, but boring people attack him and I let him take them on alone as I websling over to the costume contest.

I do some acrobatic moves and actually win, which is pretty cool because I snag myself an issue of "Spider-Man #1" and an animation cell from "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" for winning.

I continue my journey across the FanFare universe and before I know it it's time for the ShelDorf award show, of which I a part of!  The show celebrates comic creators and artists, and being me - I get to scoop in there and accept some awards on the behalf of those not there.





The night was a success!  People talked about my butt, seriously, while the show was going on so much that the announcer started talking about it.  Whatever pulls in the crowds I guess!  Some girls started grabbing it and I said "enough is enough!  The left side needs attention too!".  The crudeness of women these days!

Drawing lots of cops and military guys in addition to the kids and parents, Iron Man and myself could barely eat our food - - which by the way was the most delicious food I think I have ever had - -Andiamos or somethingsomething.  As I look up the lobby of the Renaissance Center, I see people lining the over-looks and the balconies all the way up staring down at us and waving, screaming our names...asking about my butt.  So weird.

The music stars up and no one is dancing, except this guy that looks like David Spade:




Naturally, I go and dance too, so that I can steal his thunder.  About 5 ladies join me, including this girl that works for Marvel.  She grabs my shoulder in whispers something in my ear.  It was to do with a part on my body that sounds exactly like butt.  Women.

I dance the night away and mange to have a pretty good time.  Luckily, my dancing seemed to attract a few others and everyone began having fun.  Spider-Man: Ice Breaker.

I call it a night around 2:30AM because everyone stops serving food.  In Detroit.  A major US city.  Literally.  Livonia stays up later than this town does. 

In the morning I ride the Huel Perkins People Mover to the Cobo, oh yeah!
Huel gave me a slow but bumpy ride!  I arrive back in comic central and begin doing the round, when I stumble upon a few more nifty interviews.  Gives me a great chance to talk about the positive impact of media, movies and comics can have on American youth and the importance of art.

For only two days it was an unforgettable time.  I only hope that I can impact the community more the next convention I go to - but I can't think of a higher note to end on, than of the one about connecting with our inner youth and using it to better ourselves and the others around us.


I'll always continue my efforts to help those in need, spread joy, and work hard to entertain the world.  As I continue my quest to make a Spider-Man movie, I hope people stand behind me so that I will have the tools to reach out to people not just in Detroit, but the world.

-Spider-Man

1 comment:

  1. awesome! looked like it was a lot of fun! I laughed at the part about Bruce Campbell!

    ReplyDelete