Tuesday, October 18, 2011

New York City

First off - - I'm going to start using tumblr moreso as my main blogging site soon, as it appears more people follow me on there.  For now I'm keeping both though!  Also be sure to check out the Spider-Man movie http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2093956221/spider-man-webisodes 



Friday October 14th, 2011
I decide to take a look in my pocket and say "sure, I have enough gas money I think" and that's when the adventure began.  I saw the Lion King (which is really quite spectacular in 3d) and then hit the freeway off into the sunset!

I arrive at my friend Superman's house and we relax a couple hours as we prepare our trip with the rest of the gang.  Superman is a 1:1 scale recreation of Christopher Reeves by the way.
We talked costumes for a good hour or so and he and Lois Lane got a rare up close, behind the scenes, look at my suit!
Notice the steaminess that emanates from us talking about the suit.


Saturday October 15th, 2011
Before the sun begins to rise, we take off into the night and head into the winding scenery of Pennsylvania and New Jersey towards New York.  The crimson leaves and chilling wind envelop the car under the basking titan light from the sun as we approach the city skyline of New York.

Under some weird twist of fate and some dark magic, Alicia Key's "New York" song begins playing it's first second as soon as we turn on the radio, as soon as we see the skyline.  Alicia Keys - your powers impress me.

The city is different than I imagined but just as captivating as I hoped, as we find a place to park and change.  Despite our efforts to get a taxi, we end up having to walk a few miles to the convention, which is cool with me because I enjoy mingling.


We make it to the con and I find that it is the most fun showroom of any I've seen thus far.  Most show rooms are just rows of comic stands and are pretty boring but there was a lot of content here: TVs, statues, sets, cameras, toys, video games.  Hundreds of people came up to me and I tried my best to muster support for my movie, but it's rough when I'm marketing it all alone!


I managed to see my old Avengers castmate, Tom Hiddleston, there too.  He was looking good.  Chris and he were on stage signing autographs before I lost the costume contest to a fat Wolverine and a large chested Rouge.  Typical.  I did however like that after the announcer introduced all of the other Spider-Man cosplayers before me, he let me on stage with "and here we have the real Spider-Man...".  Confidence boost before the anti-confidence boost!



I watched people play Knights of the Old Republic (wishing I could play) and even found some lovely 4chan gems on a table.

Then I took notice that tons of nice folk were getting their picture green-screened in a Spider-Man photo op thingy.  Naturally everyone freaked out when I stepped on the scene and I immediately informed them Spider-Man would not be pretending to hold on to web as they had originally instructed.  Spider-Man is too cool for CGI web, and thus I struck a pose!  They even took 4 pictures to ensure I looked baller.


All in all, it was an awesome convention.  At it's close, we fail at getting a taxi again as we make our way to Times Square.  People flip out as we walk around for photos.  We didn't make any money, but then again we didn't look as good as this guy:

I made it my goal to find every Spider-Man poser in the area and steal their business away, for free, because people deserve something better than that.  They deserve the real Spider-Man.  I even went into Toys R Us and dethroned their fake Spider-Man.  Apparently his "official" costume is worth $6,000USD.  Something is wrong with this world.
Here's me not getting money:



The star-y night concluded with a romantic bike-chariot ride to the hotel with Spider-Man in the middle and a girl on each side.  Just the way it's supposed to be.  After a quick change and a few Shirley Temples (Spider-Man doesn't drink kids and neither should you!  Stay in school.) at the bar, and I was ready to call it a night for a few hours at the room.

Sunday October 16th, 2011
Sunday was mostly "Peter Parker tours the city day".  I went all across town, and though typing everything out sounds brief, it's better to live it than explain it!  There wasn't any Spider-Man action so I'll spare you the fine details, but it was an amazing day!  I love New York, and if I could I'd move there.

No comments:

Post a Comment